Wednesday, October 3, 2012

2012 Emmy Award Fashion Hits and Misses


A week late, but here it is anyway! My fashion hits and misses from the Emmys last week!

This post is brought to you by Ashley Judd's hair, which I pretty sure was so big it needed its own seat.

The Fun Award - Cat Deeley

As dresses go, it's fairly run of the mill one-shoulder-mermaid-skirt, but I think we all just need to agree that Cat Deeley seems like she would be a lot of fun to hang out with before we move on to anything else.

The Boobs Award - Kat Dennings

I will never, never understand how women in Hollywood with a generous bosom continue to wear dresses that completely do not support them in any way. I want to reach over and yank the whole thing up about three inches.

The Getting It Right Award - Tina Fey

FINALLY. She got it right. Lovely colour, lovely shape, interesting detail at the bust line. FINALLY, TINA FEY, FINALLY!

The Almost Award - Kelly Osbourne

I really like this on Kelly. The colour is so pretty, but I think it's slightly ruined by her purple hair and the heavy lipstick.

The Casual Elegance Award - Gretchen Mol

I love this gown. It's casual, but tailored enough that it doesn't look out of place on the red carpet. What ruins it for me are the shoes with matching coloured bows. No, Gretchen Mol, no. I say no to bows. Also, remember in the early to mid-nineties when Gretchen Mol was like, THE It Girl and then she just kind of faded away?

The Flamenco Award - Elisabeth Moss

I really want to like this, but I'm pretty sure I saw a Flamenco dancer wearing it at a show in Spain in 2008.

The Yellow Award - Various  People

Hannah Simone - This could have been so much better. I don't think it needs the tiny one shoulder strap or the train. If it had a shoulder strap on each side, or no shoulder straps at all it would have worked a bit better. Also, I would really like to see Hannah without a fringe. Every time I watch New Girl I just think how much it crowds her face.

Julianne Moore - I like the idea of the dress, I just think it's...a LOT of yellow. But honestly, I think we should all just be glad she's not wearing the formal equivalent of a garbage bag.


Kaley Cuoco - Again, I like the idea, but it doesn't knock my socks off. Also I wish, as I always do, that she had done something better with her hair. That half-assed side thing is basically what my hair looks like every day.

Julie Bowen - Nice. The colour is a little bit too neon for me...I don't know that that shade is 100% right for an Emmys red carpet, but the dress design is nice overall.

Winner - Leslie Mann
It's a bit boho and a bit different, but I like the turquoise accessories and I think Leslie wears it really well. Very pretty!

The Matronly Award - Lena Dunham

I haven't watched Lena's show Girls (should I?), so I have no opinion on her either way. But I do kind of think she shouldn't have borrowed something from her grandma's wardrobe to wear. It looks way to big for her, it totally is NOT flattering to her shape and the whole thing just makes me want to look away. Interestingly, if this fit her properly and was knee length, I think it would be a super cute 50s style cocktail dress. As it is now? A world of no. Even she looks unimpressed with it.

The Pretty Award - Anna Chlumsky

I love this. Love it! It's romantic and floaty, but it clings in the right places and the neckline is plunging enough without being over the top. It's gorgeously elegant. I could take or leave the train, but as a someone who grew up in the 90s and saw My Girl 1 & 2 numerous times, I am very happy Anna is back on TV. I need to start watching Veep.
The Grey Awards - Various People

Connie Britton - I think the bust it a tad too tight, but overall I like this. Sparkly but simple, I think Connie looks comfortable and chic.

Morena Baccarin - She is so pretty it hurts my eyes. But the dress is so not right. The plunging, angular bustline? Ew.

Christina Hendricks - Nice style, accentuates her curves, but the real winner here is her hair and make up, which for once don't look like they were done in the dark by a three year old. I do find the colour of the fabric a little bland on her though. This would have been gorgeous in a jewel tone.

Winner - Kerry Washington

Simple and elegant. I love it.

The Mermaid Awards - Sofia Vergara and Julianne Hough

Sofia Vergara - She's worn this style of dress so many times before. I'd really like to see her change it up a bit. The teal sequins make me think of ocean life. She would definitely be the best dressed fish.

Julianne Hough - This is SO mermaid-y, more so than Sofia's above. I think it's the scaley looking fabric on the bottom of the skirt, and the structured bodice. It's like mermaid formal wear. I love the colour on her, I just can't get totally on board with it.

The Simple But Elegant Award - Melissa Rauch and Jessica Pare

Melissa Rauch - First of all, I did not realise this was Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory until I looked at this photo for about the fifth time. Anyway. I love the colour, and I love the style. It's just really, really lovely.

Jessica Pare - Black and white: simple, elegant and all around stunning on her. Well played.

The Upholstery Award - Juliana Margulies

Somewhere, there is a naked couch. I think the print isn't hideous, I just think there's too much of it. This dress would have worked better as a clingy column dress, I think.

The Blue Award - Jane Levy

I love this. The colour is phenomenal on her and it's so pretty. I sort of wish her hair was a bit softer, but I think she looks lovely.

The Craft Project Award - Ginnifer Goodwin

I hope no one needed orange tissue paper for their kid's art homework, because Ginnifer Goodwin used IT ALL UP. I do not care for this.

The Worst Dressed Award - Tied

Zosia Mamet - I'm sure I'll never go to a red carpet event, but I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't wear a dress where my boobs had shoulder pads covering them. This is not good.

Portia De Rossi - A lace jumpsuit? Ick. This is another outfit that I think would have worked as a strapless column dress.

The Honorable Mention - Padma Lakshimi


This dress caught my eye straight away. I love the colour, and Padma looks effortlessly glam in it.


The Best Dressed Award - Hayden Panettiere

This is so exotic looking. I think I like it so much because it looks like a Sari, and I've ALWAYS wanted to wear a Sari. It's just so pretty and it looks comfortable to wear. Easily my best dressed for the night!


Your thoughts?


















Pin It

2 comments:

Angela Watkins said...

You are spot on with this recap. Cat Deely seems like she'd be tons of fun to hang out with, Tina Fey looked beautiful, and what was going on with Ashley Judd's hair?

Rubbish and garbage removal said...

good post